Mayor rescinds South Talbot naturalized area care plan after walkabout with residents
- ESSEX FREE PRESS

- Jul 30
- 5 min read
- new plan will focus on thistle removal, conducting staggered grass maintenance, and enhancing the naturalization of the area with wildflowers and native grasses –
by Sylene Argent, Local Journalism Initiative
After walking along the South Talbot Road naturalized strip on the evening of Sunday, July 19 with fellow municipal decision-makers and residents, Mayor Sherry Bondy received Council support to rescind the motion she originally presented at the July 6 meeting, and supported a new plan of care that will focus on thistle removal, conducting staggered grass maintenance, and enhancing the naturalization of the areas with wildflowers and native grasses.
This is a greenspace that has been maintained by the Town for the past few years, but it was left to grow naturally this year. It was explained previously that this was the plan from the Province as part of the Highway 3 expansion project.
During the recent walk, participants were able to hear from experts on noxious weeds, Councillor Katie McGuire-Blais explained during the July 20 meeting.
She brought the matter up under New Business.
At the previous June 15 meeting, McGuire-Blais started discussions about the naturalized area along South Talbot Road. It was explained it was no longer being mowed, like it had been the previous few years, as the intention was to grow it as a naturalized area. Some residents expressed their frustration at what they believed looked unkempt and the decrease in service level.
It has been noted the area is filled with noxious weeds, such as thistles.
Administration was directed to report back to Council with some options for financial and environmental impacts.
During the July 6 meeting, the temperature in the Town of Essex Council Chamber got a little heated when deciding what to do with the naturalized area along South Talbot Road.
Initially, Councillor McGuire-Blais motioned to implement the staggered naturalized areas, having staff identify suitable pockets that can remain naturalized and cut the rest as turf grass. Around 50% of the area would have been cut. It would have had a financial impact of $6,853.68, due to overtime.
Her motion failed in a four-four tie with herself, Councillors Garon and Allard, and Deputy Mayor Shepley in support. Councillors Hammond, Matyi, Verbeek, and Mayor Bondy were opposed.
After discussing the matter for around an hour, a majority of Council voted to support Mayor Sherry Bondy’s motion to utilize up to $5,000 from the Urban Centre Revitalization Reserve to enhance the aesthetics of the area, so it looks presentable. The Town was also to reach out to ERCA and other partners to see about any willingness to donate plant material.
Bondy’s motion passed five to three, with herself, Councillors Rodney Hammond, Jason Matyi, Kim Verbeek, and Brad Allard in support. McGuire-Blais, Deputy Mayor Rob Shepley, and Councillor Joe Garon were opposed.
Council also supported Matyi in sending a letter to the Province to maintain its side of the property to control the noxious weeds and thistles, and also received the update on the Community Services Master Plan that was presented at the previous meeting. It was deferred as the naturalization matter was looked into.
Between those two initial meetings, the Town received around 15 emails on the matter, of which it was estimated around 80% were opposed to the current naturalization.
At the July 20 meeting, McGuire-Blais said she recognized most of the noxious weeds are on the south-side of the fence, for which the province is responsible. She said the Town has a responsibility to maintain the area on its side of the fence, also.
As the mover of the motion passed at the previous meeting, Mayor Bondy moved a reconsideration vote, recognizing the urgency in the matter as there is only one meeting in August, and going through the Notice of Motion process would mean the matter would not be talked about again until September.
It needed six votes to pass, and the seconder had to be someone who supported her original motion. Councillor Hammond seconded the motion.
The Mayor apologized because she truly believed the South Talbot green area was a naturalized space. Upon further investigation, she found out it was mostly thistle.
“When I am wrong, I say I am wrong,” Bondy said. She believed reconsideration was the right move.
Councillor Kim Verbeek confirmed the intent of the new motion was to continue this strip as a naturalized area. She did not want to lose that. She understood, however, there is a much better way to create that naturalized space.
Council then moved to continue with naturalization, using Urban Centre Revitalization Funds in the maximum of $5000, conducting staggered grass maintenance, pursuing grants for enhancement, and coordinating volunteering of time and donations to naturalize the area.
Councillor Matyi noted there is definitely a problem with thistles on the opposite side of the fence. He believes naturalization is getting a bad name, not because of what was done by Town staff, but because of the work that wasn’t done. Pressure will have to continue on the province to clean up its side of the fence.
In answering Councillor Joe Garon’s question on what Town staff will do in reaction to the motion, CAO Kate Giurissevich said the understanding is that the mowing would be prioritized to where there is heavy thistle on the Town’s side of the fence.
Verbeek added members of the community have come forward to donate time, plant plugs, and seeds to enhance the area. To anyone who wants to donate or volunteer, she encouraged them not to be shy.
Director of Community Services/Deputy CAO, Jake Morassut, explained the Town has already sprayed the thistle on its side of the fence. Staff were able to knock down the thistles sprayed that morning, which was delayed due to the air quality issues because of the wildfires. Staff will continue to monitor that. His understanding is to move forward cutting areas that are heavier in thistle, such as near the Civic Centre. Staff will then upgrade the naturalized areas with more wildflowers and native grasses.
Deputy Mayor Rob Shepley said it was nice to get out with residents to host the walk in the area. He believes those residents feel heard now and will be part of the solution.
Director of Legal and Legislative Services, Joe Malandruccolo, noted the Town did send a letter to the MTO, as directed during the previous meeting, and will follow up if a response is not received.
Bondy added she and Giurissevich plan to speak to MPP Anthony Leardi about the matter, as well, because there is worry thistle will spread to the developing Essex Sports Fields on the south side of Highway 3.
Residents were encouraged to write the MPP and the MTO about the thistle issue on the province’s side of the fence, as well.




