top of page
Search

“No left turn” restriction from Talbot onto Laird to be removed

by Sylene Argent, Local Journalism Initiative

The “no left turn” restriction from the northbound lane of Talbot Street South onto Laird Avenue will be removed, Essex Council unanimously decided during the August 11 meeting.

  Back in March, Council supported Deputy Mayor Rob Shepley’s motion to evaluate how the revised Essex Centre Streetscape Plan has affected traffic flow and to identify opportunities for improving signage to enhance traffic efficiency and pedestrian safety; the key goals of the project.

  At the time, Council directed Administration to prepare a report addressing five traffic efficiency and pedestrian safety aspects of the project, including the no left turn restriction onto Laird Avenue from Talbot Street.

  Upon receiving the direction, Director of Infrastructure Services, Kevin Girard, said Town administration looked at each of the five matters.

  Regarding the no left turn restriction onto Laird Avenue from Talbot Street, this restriction was implemented as part of the Essex Centre Streetscape Project to address the safety concern of near misses at the pedestrian crossing at Laird.

  This no left turn restriction has not been adopted through by-law as of yet, which left a few options. One was to adopt the by-law for the restriction, another was to adopt a by-law with the restriction of certain hours of the day, or to remove the restriction entirely. 

  Due to potential enforcement issues, Girard recommended the restriction stay in place at all times. Also, he noted the traffic at peak times, such as on Saturday mornings, is busy. If the left turn was allowed, he believes traffic would back up to the Arthur Avenue intersection.  

  Councillor Katie McGuire-Blais believed the no left turn could be removed to Laid. She believes the safety concern was removed when the turn lane was eliminated, which caused the blind spot previously.

  Shepley was leaning towards opening up left turns onto Laird to help unclog traffic going through the downtown core.

  In answering Councillor Joe Garon’s question on if complaints have been received about near misses at the Laird intersection, Girard said the Town has not from pedestrians.

  The intersection was dangerous before, he added.

  Shepley moved to remove the no left turn restriction on Talbot Street to Laid, which Council supported.

  If this is something on which Council receives complaints, the matter could be brought back and further discussed, Mayor Sherry Bondy added.

  The other areas admin looked into included: the left turn restriction into Schinkel’s, the feasibility of flashing indicators at key crosswalks at the two busiest crosswalks in Essex Centre – Talbot Street North and Wilson Avenue, and Talbot Street North and Laird Avenue.

  Admin was also to assess the traffic flow and safety at two intersections: Arthur Avenue and Talbot Street South, and Victoria Street and Talbot Street North.

  In terms of the no left turn restriction into the Schinkel’s parking lot, admin was unable to determine the history or rationale as to why it was implemented. It was added, however, in April of 2007. They did assess the intersection, and administration recommends it remain in place.

  The issue with the no left turn into the Schinkels’ parking lot for Councillor Garon is that drivers will still make the turn whether they are allowed or not. Though, having the sign is helpful in reducing those making the turn.

  Councillor McGuire-Blais said many may not feel safe using the alley off of Centre Street to get to Schinkels’, or may not know the alley exists.

  Shepley was fine with leaving the no left turn into Schinkels'.

  The feasibility of flashing indicators at key crosswalks at the two busiest crosswalks in Essex Centre – Talbot Street North and Wilson Avenue, and Talbot Street North and Laird Avenue, were looked at as part of the Essex Centre Streetscape project, Girard explained. There was no justification to provide flashing pedestrian crosswalks at these locations for a variety of reasons.

  If Council would like to look at that, Girard said it would cost around $110,000 to complete both, and suggested submitting the project for consideration in the 2026 Budget.

  In looking at Arthur Avenue and Talbot Street South, and Victoria Street and Talbot Street North, intersections, Girard said Council does have the option to assess them. The town does not have the internal resources to assess the intersections. A review of both through a consultant would cost around $10,000. He noted there is a Transportation Master Plan included in the 2025 Capital Budget, and these intersections could be included in that project.

  McGuire-Blais asked if a traffic study for Arthur and Victoria, where they meet Talbot, had been completed. Girard noted though the streetscape project was meant to improve that, no study addressed traffic flow. Both intersections were looked at from a high-level. Conduit was included to put in a signal in the future, if it is needed. A signal would cost between $300,000 and $400,000 per intersection. He spoke of the importance of getting the study done before making any decisions on that.

  Council supported McGuire-Blais’s motion to bring the traffic study to the 2026 Budget.

 
 

© 2025 The Essex Free Press ltd.

The entire contents of The Essex Free Press and its website, including but not limited to layout composition, artwork, news copy, editorial copy and photographs, are protected by copyright. No portion there of is to be reproduced or transmitted in any form or by any means without the specific permission of the publisher.

  • Facebook - White Circle
  • issuu
bottom of page