Search
  • ESSEX FREE PRESS

Ladies’ Auxiliary celebrates 75th anniversary



by Sylene Argent

On Sunday, members of the Ladies Auxiliary for the Essex Branch of the Royal Canadian Legion (Branch 201), hosted an open house and presented years-of-service awards to longstanding members, as part of an event that celebrated the organization’s 75th anniversary.

  During the event, Past Presidents of the Essex Legion’s Ladies’ Auxiliary were recognized, in addition to Legion member Craig Chartier, for being the organization’s liaison with the Legion for many years.  

  Members and supporters enjoyed a brief ceremony, an open house where they were able to mingle with other members, and take part in specially prepared luncheon.

A Ladies’ Auxiliary group is a non-profit organization that is attached to the Legion.

According to legion.ca, the Ladies’ Auxiliary originated during the First World War when women were asked to help wounded Veterans returning home, and to provide supports for their families.

  In 1926, when The Royal Canadian Legion was established, the women in these groups were welcomed as additions to the Legion.   

  Currently, the Essex Legion’s Ladies’ Auxiliary has around 75 members. Those interested in joining can call the Essex Legion at (519) 776-8247 to learn more.

© 2020 The Essex Free Press ltd.

  • Facebook - White Circle
  • Twitter - White Circle
  • issuu